The DH4 was Geoffrey de Havilland’s first truly great design; a handsome two-seat biplane, it made its first flight in mid-August 1916 and the first production samples arrived at the Front in March the following year. The aeroplane was significantly faster than any other contemporary two-seater and was operated until the Armistice with great success. Various engines were fitted to the DH4 but its performance was greatest when powered by the Rolls Royce Eagle. Used for reconnaissance, bombing, Naval operations and home defence, it was a ubiquitous and reliable aeroplane, its only drawback being the extended distance between pilot and observer making for difficult communication between them. An American version powered by the Liberty engine was built by Dayton-Wright.