The Luft-Verkehrs-Gessellschaft mbH of Berlin/Johannisthal (LVG) delivered over 5600 aircraft to the German air service in World War One, second only to Albatros. The company produced a successful line of rugged and dependable two-seaters of which their C.V and C.VI were among the finest. The C.VI arrived at the Front in June 1918 with over 170 of them in service by the end of the month. Flight crews regarded the aeroplane highly, it was a versatile machine boasting excellent climb, manoeuvrability and speed. With its powerful 240-hp Benz in-line engine, the LVG C.VI was used successfully for reconnaissance duties, some crews even employing it at low level dropping hand grenades on enemy troop positions. LVG production continued after the Armistice and large numbers were pressed into civil employment.